Glenwood Friends Meeting
Glenwood Friends
History
 

CURRENT LEADERSHIP STAFF


PASTOR
Tim Grant
glenwoodfriendsm@bellsouth.net
1999-Present

Choir Director
Linda Foushee

Pianist
Gloria Chambers

 

GLENWOOD's HUMBLE BEGINNINGS

In June, 1927 a group of concerned Friends began to meet for prayer and Bible study. Soon there was a concern to establish a new Meeting. Three years later the Glenwood Friends Meeting was organized with 21 charter members who were: Elwood Bumgardner, Mattie Bumgardner, Addison N. Harvey, Lydia E. Harvey, Elwood W. Harvey, Edward Dunman, Lelia Dunman, Charles J. Jarrell, Sally Harrell, Bertha Galimore, Robert W. Reynolds, Nannie C. Reynolds, Herbert F. Bulla, Lessie B. Bulla, Alma Grundman, Robert Tally, Ida Burton, L.D. Smith, S. Maggie Smith, Robert H. Melvin (Pastor) and Ora Melvin.

The first meetininghouse was a small, white frame building purchased from Florida Street Baptist Church, and the first regular services were Evangelistic with Reverend John S. Riley (then pastor of Spring Garden Street Friends Meeting) in charge with Robert Melvin leading the singing. The New Garden Quarterly Meeting assisted with the organization of the new body and some assistance was given by the Spring Garden Friends Meeting. The Glenwood Friends Meeting was set up as a Monthly Meeting in the New Garden Quarter September 4, 1930.

The Meeting began a continued growth and in 1948, there arose a concern for a new Meetinghouse. The plans for a new building were drawn by Reverend Charles Johnson and in the spring of 1949 construction was begun. The project was completed in December of the same year. The cost of the Meetinghouse was $22,500. The members raised $12,500 of this amount and a loan of $11,000 was secured from Home Federal Savings and Loan Association of Greensboro. By 1952, the loan was paid off and a parsonage was purchased for $8,500.

The Lord's blessing so rested upon the Meeting that in 1960, there was a need for an Educational Building. So, in October of 1960, a two story Educational Building was completed. The new project and the renovations of the Sanctuary was $89,000.

In the fall of 1965, the city of Greensboro notified us that we would have to relocate due to a highway project. Although we were totally debt free, we would purchase ten acres on Valley Park Drive in January of 1966.

Ground-breaking ceremonies for the new Meetinghouse were held March 31,1968, and in May construction began. The project was completed in June of 1969 at a total cost of $325,000. We now have facilities for 500 in both the Education Building and the Sanctuary.

At one time Glenwood had the largest Sunday School and worship attendance in the NCYM (North Carolina Yearly Meeting) with annual givings exceeding $100,000, of which nearly 1/4 went to domestic and foreign missionary endeavors.

 

 
© 2015, Glenwood Friends Meeting | 2400 Old Chapman Street | Greensboro NC 27403     
Footer